Friday 3 June 2011

Some of the things I'm taking with me

One point five weeks out I've gone through all my gear to make sure I have everything. I'm sure I'll do this twice more before I go. If I am missing stuff it's not hard to get it on the way, I know I have a few things I need to pick up. Here's a photo of it all spread out in the lounge:
I have (from mostly left to right, top to bottom):

  • All year round clothes
  • Wool layers for Winter
  • Microfiber towel
  • Ultralight tent and tent foot print (Nemo Espri 2P)
  • Wool sleeping bag liner & Sleeping bag
  • Airbed with built in pump (Exped Synmat 7 Pump)
  • Memory foam pillow (Big Agnes Sleeping Giant) and inflatable pillow
  • Ceramic water filter (Katadyn Pocket)
  • Camp Chair (Alite Monarch)
  • Toiletries + Contact lenses
  • Collapsible bucket
  • Gas burner
  • Gas bottle
  • Hand warmer (there should be two... where did the other one go?)
  • Saucepan and lid
  • Plate and cutlery
  • Malaria meds, Squirts meds.
  • iPood (now named the pocket trowel thanks to lawsuit happy Apple)
  • iPod
  • GoPro camera
  • Mini playing cards for when the batteries die in everything else
  • Camera battery charger
  • AA battery charger
  • GPS (Garmin 76CSx)
  • Prescription sunglasses
  • Power adapter
  • Carbon filter bottle + spare filter for bad tasting water. Aluminium bottle for clean water
  • First aid kit
  • Books (Lonely planet Thailand, Lonely planet south east asia, a book on how to read Thai, SAS survival guide, mini atlas)
  • Spot 2 Messenger to let people know I'm OK
  • Canon 350D, 17-70mm lens, 50mm lens, CPL filter and IR filter (for experimentation!)
  • Timer/Auto shutter release
  • USB cables, Charger cables
  • Phone
  • Gorillapod
  • Swissgold coffee filter
  • Laptop and power supply (Asus U31A - 10 hour battery life!)
  • 1TB External drive + Card reader + spare 16GB SD and spare 8GB CF card
  • Passports + Vaccination details
  • Copy of bike rego
  • Pocketknife

There are a couple of items that will be swapped in and out via post along the way depending on where I'm heading. Things like warm clothes, Lonely Planet guides etc. Some of it might be cheaper locally than postage though.

And for bike parts:
A lot of things are missing from here and I'm still trying to sort out exactly what I need to take. I have enough there to service the bike, replace/repair tyre tubes, and make carby adjustments for altitude. I don't know where to keep spare oil or spark plugs yet, or the toolkit itself.

So somehow I have to fit all of that, plus food and water on the bike. And make it secure enough that people don't steal it.

2 comments:

  1. nice! looks like you've thought of everything, hope it all fits on the bike :) do you think a small solar panel would be any use to charge all your gadgets when you're away from mains power?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about it, but not sure where I'd put it. But at the moment I can charge everything except the laptop while riding. Laptop will last 10 hours on battery so my plan is to get it charged every 2-3 days.

    ReplyDelete